Wurzburg residence is located on the Main River, which surrounded by mountains. It is the greatest and most magnificent baroque palace in Germany.
Two prince-bishops Johann Philipp Franz and Friedrich Kari von Schonborn provided funds for Wurzburg residence. It was designed by Balthasar Neumann in 1718 and completed in 1744. Most of decorators came from Vienna, Italy, Holland and Belgium. Therefore, Wurzburg residence has golden sandstone wall, spacious stairs, luxury Roman style rooms and a beautiful garden that is a typical European architecture.
Wurzburg residence is based on a C-shape plan. The ceiling of magnificent staircase has the world’s largest fresco which was painted by Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo who used three years to complete. The main hall is decorated with marble sculptures. The central part of the side building has an oval shape hall. Those halls are typical baroque style. The palace has more than 340 halls and rooms, including white hall, imperial hall and court chapel. Wurzburg residence demonstrated the wealth of the Schonborn family.
In 1804, Napoleon invaded Bavaria and captured the Wurzburg. He impressed by the gorgeous palace and called “the nicest parsonage in Europe”.
During World War II, Wurzburg residence had been seriously damaged. Fortunately, some large furnishings and artworks had been removed in time. The renovation of Wurzburg residence cost 20 million euros. It reopened to visitors until 1987.
Wurzburg residence is the masterwork of German Baroque architecture, which also represents the most luxurious and splendid period of the European court.